Wheat, the primary agricultural and food crop of Australia and worldwide, is under threat due to highly virulent forms of stripe rust disease that emerged in parts of Australia, Africa, Middle East, Europe, South East Asia and America. One of the important strategies followed globally to manage such devastating diseases is to deploy host plant mediated genetic resistance sourced particularly from unexploited wheats such as landraces and wild related species. Here I target identification and characterisation of novel stripe rust resistance from the landrace collection maintained at Vavilov Institute, Russia using advanced molecular breeding and genetic tools.
Awards & scholarships
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) funded by Department of Education and Technology, Australian Government.
- Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) funded by Department of Education and Technology, Australian Government.
Research title: Molecular genetic analysis of triple rust disease resistance genes in wheat
- Identification of wheat landraces effective against diverse stripe rust races prevalent in Australia.
- Identification of the chromosome region and molecular markers linked to the resistance locus using low and high resolution mapping.
- Cloning of the targeted resistance gene using map and MutRenSeq based approaches.
Molecular markers tightly linked to the targeted resistance will be used for marker assisted generation of stripe rust resistant wheat cultivars. Resistance gene sequence will be an important component to generate resistance gene cassettes and for functional analysis of wheat-stripe rust interaction.
Sharma R, Sahoo A, Devendran R, Jain M (2014) Over-expression of a rice tau class glutathione S-transferase gene improves tolerance to salinity and oxidative stresses in Arabidopsis. PLoS ONE. 24; 9 (3):e92900. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0092900.
Sharma R, Priya P, Jain M (2013) Modified expression of an auxin-responsive rice CC-type glutaredoxin gene affects multiple abiotic stress responses. Planta 238: 871-884. doi: 10.1007/s00425-013-1940-y.
Verma M, Ghangal R, Sharma R, Sinha AK, Jain M (2014) Transcriptome analysis of Catharanthus roseus for gene discovery and expression profiling. PLoS ONE. 29; 9 (7): e 103583. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0103583.
Sharma E, Sharma R, Borah P, Jain M, Khurana JP (2015). Emerging roles of auxin in Abiotic stress responses. In: Pandey GK (eds.), Elucidation of Abiotic Stress Signaling in Plants: A Functional Genomic Perspective, Springer Science+Business Media, New York. Pp 299-328. 10.1007/978-1-4939-2211-6_11.